Monday, January 01, 2007

Another Walmart Post

Someone once accused me of never having anything positive to say. I got them this time!

A few weeks ago I posted about the oxymoron known as "Walmart customer service." Some of my management training included a statistic that 90% of customers will never complain, but that 10% that does complain tells their story to an average of 9 people. I figure I had better tell a postitive story this time.

I have not had good luck with Walmart batteries. I have been through four starting batteries in the three years that I have owned my boat. All but this last one have been replaced free, as they crapped out within the one year warranty period. As I prepared to go fishing this afternoon, I was working on the boat and discovered that the starting battery, again, was stone cold dead. My charger also quit working. Fortunately, I had an Academy gift card from Christmas. I had planned on a new reel, but it's hard to use a new reel if your boat doesn't work. I went to Academy, found a charger on clearance for 24.88 and got a new battery. But now, what to do with the old one? It was in its fourteenth month, two months past the free replacement period, but within the three year pro-rated period. I called Walmart to see if I could get credit instead of exchanging, since I had lost confidence in their batteries. The lady on the phone was not an all-star. She said I had to come in to the store, which I knew, and wouldn't tell me what kind of refund I was looking at, or if I could even get one.

I went to the Walmart on this side of town, not the same one I had called. The lady at the automotive counter was one who had been helpful before, and she appears to know her stuff. I got out my receipt from the side of the battery, told my story, and handed the receipt to her. She gave me cash back and I was out the door. The whole trip, home to automotive to home took less than fifteen minutes. What a deal!

So, I think I have the boat working again. I also re-organized my tackle to accommodate some recent acquisitions. It's cold and high pressure, but at least the wind's not blowing, so I'm still planning on heading out this afternoon. If it turns out well, I'll let you know.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home