Friday, November 10, 2006

Psalm 8:6-7

Last year I began using my hunting time to study and pray. I haven't been as diligent this year, but I did break out the Bible last night while I hunted. I was working my way through Psalm 8 when I found this:

"You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet: all flocks and herds, and the animals of the wild..."

I was thinking: I could sure use some animals of the wild under my feet about now.

I saw a deer back in the brush feeding away when I got to my stand. Couldn't tell the gender, and it never came back. About 20 minutes before dark, a small pig came out. I put an arrow through the lungs, and it ran into the brush. Being as it was getting dark and I was supposed to be in town by 6:30, I got down after two or three minutes to go find it. I left the bow, grabbed the .223 and headed into the brush, where I immediately saw a pig staring at me. I generally don't like pigs staring at me, so I shot him. Several others ran away at the shot. I ended up finding the blood trail of the bow-shot pig and following it about 50 or 60 yards. By this time it was dark, and I found the place where the pig crossed the fence into another person's place. Since it was now 6:15, and dark, and I had a pig on the ground, I quit looking. I field dressed the pig, collected my gear, and headed back to town at 6:32. When I made it to town at 7:07, covered in pig goo, the boys were going berserk, mama was frustrated, and daddy was in trouble.

I decided not to go back this morning to look for the pig, mostly because it's the fifth pig this week. Maybe next time out I'll use my sniffer to find it and collect my arrow.

I think we've got enough pork now for sausage. If I can find a couple of deer we'll be good to go.
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home