Monday, November 06, 2006

A Cuttin A Pig Meat

Trey and I and three other guys from church went out hunting this morning. Not five minutes after I get to my stand, I hear the "don't shoot me" whistle and Trey comes out of the brush behind me. He had seen some pigs on the way to his stand, and had circled around to pick me up before he went after them. I figured it was a low percentage play, but I appreciated the gesture. We went to where the pigs were last seen and began working toward where we figured they went. As we rounded the corner of a brush pile, we saw two pigs about 100 yards away. I had no rest and was exceptionally unsteady, but I managed to knock down a pig with the first shot. Two or maybe three more pigs ran toward us. I shot three more times, and I think Trey shot three or four times at the runners. I smacked one DRT (dead right there) and Trey said he thought he got a piece of one. After the smackdown had ended, we went looking and found our pigs. The first one I had hit in the spine about even with the pelvis. Told you I was wobbly :) It took a finishing shot behind the ear. Second one was DRT. We hunted a bit through the brush where the pigs ran away, and just as we were leaving found the third with two bullet holes. They were all about 100 pounds each live weight. We collected the other hunters, came back and skinned pigs, and went home. Of course, no one had thought to bring a camera. These are the first pigs I've killed since Texarkana. Even after I give some backstrap to the other four guys, I should still have plenty of pork for grinding. The title of the post is what Jonathan said we were doing at the kitchen table this afternoon. From watching hunting shows with me, he's about got it figured out that you shoot pigs and deer with a gun, the pig or deer dies, and then you cut it up, cook it and eat it. Who says you can't teach them early?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home