Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Contemplative youth ministry

My poor neglected blog...

I read a few articles recently about people advocating a non-program, non-activity based, contemplative youth ministry. Teaching young people how to meditate on scripture, how to pray in ways other than the usual, and how to listen to God sounds like a good idea. I think there's definitely some value in teaching the classical spiritual disciplines, particularly in churches of Christ. This could be the answer in part to the problem of biblical illiteracy in our churches.

On the other hand, a contemplative ministry does great for the involved members but ignores the fringe and those on the outside. There's no mission aspect to a group focused on themselves and their own spiritual development.

While I don't think that a purely contemplative youth ministry is exceptionally effective, I can certainly see how contemplative elements could be (and should be) included in the way we do ministry. I had made a few steps in that direction prior to coming to school (adding some silence and Taize into the youth worship time, for example), but I plan on being much more intentional on the next go-around.

Changing the subject, I didn't kill a deer this past Saturday, which was opening day of rifle season. I saw one small buck a long ways off, and Travis saw two small bucks and a doe. Trav ended up shooting a pig right at dark, the big brown sow I saw a couple of weeks ago. The crappie are allegedly biting, but I haven't had a chance to go yet.

Shana and the kids are going to my parents house for a few days to visit. They leave today and should return on Saturday.

Mom called and told me that my grandmother's (her mom's) cancer has returned. It was in her throat and they treated it, but this time they found it in her lungs. Doesn't look to good. No word on treatment options or anything yet, but keep her in your prayers. Her name is Ruth Isaacs.

Guess that's it for today.
Jason

2 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger ann said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Hope everything works out for her.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger mt said...

Jason,
Hey it's Matt T from Greek class. How are ya? I should be studying for our exam on Tues. but decided to take a break and surf blogs. I appreciate your thoughts on contemplative youth ministry. You raise a good point: how does the contemplative focus affect the "outsiders" of ministry? My friend Bret Wells just wrote an article for my site Two Cities (www.mtapie.blogspot.com) regarding a "theology of youth trips" and I think a dialogue between the two of you would be really fascinating. Just thought I'd invite you over if you have some time to procrastinate! :) See you on Tuesday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home