Thursday, September 15, 2005

Brushes with greatness

Also the title of a biography of a guy with huge teeth...

I met a couple of semi-important people today. One, I had a five minute conversation with the vice president of Academy Corporation. Turns out he's from Austin and he has a son who coaches at Bowie, so we talked about Leander and Westlake football. We also talked about some of the old Academy stores, like the one on Burnet Road and the one on I 35. I bought one of my first rod and reels at the I 35 store. They were also one of the only places in town to get Benjamin pellets. Academy apparently does about a Billion dollars a year in sales, so the #2 guy is a pretty important fellow. Our store got good reviews, and our department did really well compared to the other departments. This bodes well for my manager, but also for me, as I have a review coming up in the next couple of weeks that'll determine how much of a raise I get.

Two, I had dinner with about 20 other guys and Paul Scott Wilson, a preaching professor from somewhere in Canada. He's one of the top scholars in the field of homiletics (preaching). It wouldn't be like meeting the best player for the Yankees (hate 'em, but they're good), more like the best player from the worst team, but he's still major league, and top in his (rather small) field. Upside of the meeting was a "free" copy of one of his books about preaching, and also dinner from Harold's BBQ, plus I got to take home an extra plate. Not bad for 15 bucks.

Nobody's been commenting lately...Any of you met anyone even semi-famous?

I served Laura Bush a glass of tea once.

Jason

2 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger ann said...

I met Kurt Russell in Aspen on a Walnust ski trip. He wasn't very friendly. Even though I'm not commenting, I'm reading. :)

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger jerry said...

I ate yogurt with Hershal(?) Walker and his wife in Irving once. That was right after he was traded to the Minnesota Vikings from the Cowboys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home