Monday, October 24, 2005

Writing a spiritual autobiography

I'm in the process of writing a spiritual autobiography. Some of those things are hard to re-live. I'm not going to post it here in its entirety, because it's too personal, and because it's a bit critical of many of the people and churches that have brought me to this point. Even so, here are the highlights:

1. Because of my family history, I had no choice but to be a faithful member of the Church of Christ. Kind of the opposite of Hank Williams' "Family Tradition" song.
2. My spiritual mentors have included my Dad, Whit Pennock, Greg Brumley, Dean English, Jered Benedick, and Donald Sandlin.
3. Most of the elders I have ever known have protected the status quo or their backsides at my expense.
4. I have been plagued, or perhaps blessed, by a nagging dissatisfaction with the way things are.
5. I can honestly say that I can think of very few times when I have found my church experience completely satisfying. Like many folks who end up in seminary, I found myself saying that there must be something more to Christianity than what I had experienced.
6. I fully believe that God has worked through circumstances throughout my life to lead me along to various places and people, and I have no reason to suspect that he'd quit now.
7. I have no idea what's going to happen next, or where the Lord is leading me right now, or what I want to be when I grow up, but I have faith that he'll work it out.

And there it is. The long version is 13 pages.

It was another good weekend to be a fan of the orange and white.

Friday night we took the boat and the kids to the lake. Jonathan was funny. He saw me casting and wanted to do the same. He picked up my pole with a Pop-R on the end and started waving it around and whacking me in the head. Not wanting my ears pierced, I got him a pole from the rod box that I hadn't put a reel on yet. He threw a fit because there wasn't a lure on the end, so we clipped a float on to the last eye and he was OK. Turns out that an All Star will float if it doesn't have a reel attached. In between Jonathan's stuff, I managed to catch one decent bass. They were busting shad in the back of this little cove, but I didn't have the opportunity to fish hard enough to catch more than the one. Even so, it was a pleasant trip.

I went deer hunting on Saturday and didn't see anything, but the deer are eating my corn from the demand feeder, and I finally figured out how to make the other feeder work. Turns out that it has to be turned to "off" when you leave, not "on" as intuition would make you think.

Have a good one,
Jason

1 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger ann said...

Writing a spiritual autobiography sounds like a good idea. I'm always a proponent of writing personal histories. Maybe it's because I'm into geneology and would dig it if I could find something like that by one of my ancestors. Hope you all are doing well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home