Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Eureka!

I think I found my first book. (Actually I already wrote a children's book, but haven't pursued any kind of publication.) I've always wanted to write a book, but have never really had anything important to say. I think I found something yesterday...

Since my family is out of town, I decided to go deer hunting yesterday evening. I got out of spiritual formation class at 3 and headed to the country. I took along my bible. I spent about an hour in meditation, kind of lectio divina style, about the story of Ananias and Sapphira. What have I given up for God? What have I held back? From whom did I withold it? What were the consequences of my witholding? What does this text call me to repent of? After that, I spent the next hour praying the Jesus prayer. I can't say that I had any great revelations or anything, but it was a good exercise. Didn't see any deer either, for those who wondered.

Now to my book... Steve Chapman wrote a book called "A Look at Life from a Deer Stand." It's kind of a fluffy book about seeing God in nature and remembering all about family stories. I think my book is going to be called "The Deer Stand Monk" or something like that and offer a series of spiritual formation exercises for guys sitting around in a tree waiting for a deer to show up. I have a ways to go yet, as I probably shouldn't write a book after only two hours of actually doing what the book is about, but I really like the idea. I think I'm going to continue this practice, lectio divina followed by hesychastic prayer (nice technical words there, huh?) through this deer season and see what comes about.

Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home