Tuesday, October 04, 2005

An interesting opportunity... advice sought

It comes as no surprise that Walnut is looking for a new youth minister. What has surprised me is that they published criteria in the bulletin for what kind of YM they say that they want. Some would say that they had a YM that met those criteria...

My concern is mostly that they not set up another poor fool for a fall by being unclear about their expectations. A second major concern is the effect another difficult transition will have on the church and the kids in particular. I called Bob Fry and expressed some of my concerns, and he said that it would be appropriate and perhaps helpful for me to make a written statement to the eldership.

I appeal to the collective wisdom of my readership. Jerry, Stan, Kim, Travis, Mom and Dad, Kristie, Gabe, Ann, and even you folks in France...

This is a tough thing, a delicate matter. I need to say what needs to be said, but in a way that will be heard. What advice can you offer?

2 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Jared Cramer said...

Difficult situation, Jason. I'm sure if you wrote the letter on your heart, it might tick off some of those in leadership at Walnut. I'd set out ahead of time what you want to say and then craft the letter with a concern for it being heard--and not said. If the church I used to be with asked me to do a similar thing, it'd be really hard to write a letter that was Christ-like. However, give it a few days, some prayer, and some rigorous scrutiny comparing your words to the message of the cross, and I'm confident you will say what needs to be said in a way that the church can grow.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger jerry said...

I agree with Jared. Writing straight from the heart might reallyupset people. I am curious about what the bulletin said. I will try to get a copy then write a comment. Once again, bathe your response in prayer. Let God speak through your writing. It's all about bringing our teens to the cross and guiding them into a relationship with Jesus.

On a side note, I day-dreamed one time that my former church asked me to write a letter, then I went to the golf course and felt better.

I miss having you in this area! May God continue to grow and use you and your family

Keep praying!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home