Friday, September 09, 2005

Two reasons to go to seminary

Here we are at the end of week three of the semester, and so far I'll I've figured out is exactly why I decided to go to graduate school. There are pretty much only two reasons.

I want to develop spiritually. I don't pretend to be perfect, even though I may occasionally come off as if I think I am. There are many areas of my spiritual life that need development, and I think that seminary should be a place where that kind of development is encouraged.

The second reason is to figure out the answer to a dilemma that has plagued me throughout my entire ministry career. How do you bring non-sectarian, even anti-sectarian, biblical messages to people who really want to hear what they've always heard, or want to hear lessons about "the issues?" I've determined for myself that I think most of the "issues" are 99% irrelevant to the gospel. At the same time, the cultural identity and self concept of Churches of Christ, particularly the ones I've worked for, is based heavily on (primarily?) our positions on those same issues. We are the church that doesn't use instruments, that doesn't allow women in leadership positions, etc. For me to challege those positions (which I did probably too often) even from a position of biblical scholarship and truth, was not a challenge to the intellect of those churches, but to their very identity and self concept. I've decided that you just can't use logic, reason, or scholarship when the issue is one of identity and not of intellect. So the burning question in my mind remains: how do you communicate truth to people who would rather fire you than be pushed? If a member at a church doesn't like the teaching of a minister, they can leave, and often do. On the other hand, if the eldership, or even some opinion leaders, don't like the teaching of the minister, the minister "gets" to leave.

As for my reasons, I've pretty much taken it for granted that fulfillment of reason #1 is part of the process. If I apply myself to my studies, if I seek godly wisdom from my mentors, spiritual development is virtually guaranteed. Reason #2 is not so simple. So far I haven't been able to get a straight answer, although I haven't asked the question in private contexts, only in classes.

In other news, the ACU police deparment denied my appealed parking ticket. We've exchanged a few "interesting" emails. They've accused me of being sarcastic and rude (which I was), and I've accused them of being irrational and bureaucratic (which they are). I don't imagine much good will come of it.

Some of our new acquaintances (to call them friends is probably appropriate, but we have had such good friends that these people don't even come close to, so...) have asked me to lead a small group for them, "since I'm a bible major." I was considering it already, but availability will be an issue since I can't get my work schedule more than a week in advance. We'll see.

Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home