Friday, September 02, 2005

Hurricanes and Capitalism

Something thought provoking happened at Academy today. We sold about $4000 worth of stuff to people who were buying for hurricane victims. We sold about 20 sleeping bags, 20 propane Coleman style stoves, 10 cases of 1 pound propane bottles, and about 40 cots. It was interesting to watch my manager be excited about the huge sales and at the same time be sobered by the realization that the things we sold wouldn't come close to meeting the needs of the people in trouble. One group that bought the most had 60K to spend donated by thier company to help company employees in Mississippi. It seemed odd to me to be selling the stuff rather than giving it away, but I guess everything has to be bought some time.

Another thing that bugs me is that people are blaming President Bush for all kinds of stuff... like it was his idea to have a hurricane. Seems like 99 2/3% of the job, even the blame, should go to the people to whom the jobs are delegated, not Bush himself.

Lest the TPWD get a hold of me if I elaborate too much, I'll just say that the dove hunting last night was excellent.
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home