Monday, August 29, 2005

The ups and downs of a regular day

Today was a typical day in some respects, quite different in others. Right after breakfast this morning we took the truck to the mechanic. It's been acting goofy, losing power when cold and on the boat ramp. Since a truck that won't pull a boat is about worthless, I decided to take it in. Turns out that one problem was that the timing belt was so worn as to be loose and affect the amount of power. May have other problems too, but they won't be able to tell until they fix the belt for roughly $300. Sad thing is that I could do it myself if I had the time. Oh well... Supposed to get it back tomorrow.

We also got our driver's licenses changed today and registered to vote, virtually assuring a jury summons some time soon.

I had class today, and was all convinced that I was ready, having read what I thought the reading assignment was, only to look a the syllabus 10 minutes before I left the house to find out that I hadn't read everything. Turns out that it didn't really matter anyway.

After class I went to get a parking permit, having gotten a warning the other day. I got in line, paid $75 for a permit for the truck and another 5 for a second one for the car, and had to go back out to the car to get the license number. When I got there, you guessed it, a ticket! I actually got a ticket for no parking permit while I was in line to get a parking permit! The lady at the permit office agreed with me that the situation was ridiculous, and so she signed my ticket appeal form to verify that I was actually buying a permit at the time the ticket was issued.

But wait, the fun doesn't stop there! I got home to find that we'd received something odd in the mailbox. There was the usual mail, and an envelope with no address, return address, or stamp. On the outside was written "Get a babysitter & go out for a nice dinner. Grace & peace be with you." Inside was $70 cash. Pretty cool! We're pretty stumped about who would do such a thing, although we have some suspects.

As if that wasn't enough fun for one day, we went to Walmart to exchange one of the batteries from my boat, it having gone stone cold dead after only three months. Got another one for free again, I think the fifth one in two years, all free except the first. If they made a decent battery, then they wouldn't need a one year free replacement warranty, now would they?

After that we came home and ate dinner and I translated 1 John chapter 2 from Greek to English, which took about two hours. That was all I could stand, so now I'm blogging a bit.

Like I said, in some ways a typical day, in others, kind of unique.
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home