Thursday, June 02, 2005

Sweetwater Report

I promised an update on the Sweetwater situation, but blogger was acting goofy last night. Here's the scoop:

After the interview on Wednesday of last week, they called me back for a "meet the kids" meeting. We went to Sunday evening church, which was interesting because they had one of the ACU music professors out working with the congregation on improving the congregational singing. As a singing guy, that's something I appreciate. After that we went and hung out in their youth center (a really nice place, BTW), ate burgers, and then I gave a short talk. I used the principle of new wine and new wineskins to illustrate to them that regardless of who comes into thier youth ministry position, everyone is going to have to be flexible or both the wine and the skin will be ruined. It went pretty well, although I think I could have done better. After that we played sand volleyball in their court that's in the church parking lot. They seem to be a good bunch of kids, and they like hanging out with each other.

As we left, I got some interesting looks from some of the committee members. They were almost "attaboy" looks. Good stuff!

We stayed with one of the elders named Mr. Whittenberg. I met him on Wednesday night as he was preparing to teach the 2 year old class. He and his wife were very hospitable. They both worked in the schools, she as a librarian and he as a 5th grade teacher. He just retired last week after 41 years. They're great people, and he seems like a good elder.

I was the first one that they interviewed, and they have at least four other candidates. I'm not sure what kind of time table they'll be able to talk to their other guys in, so I may be waiting a while. I've got to move out of here some time around the 24th of June, so I may have to do some kind of interim housing. Not too fun with a couple of small kids.

I can't help but feel that God has prepared this job for me. On the other hand, my faith is small enough to be scared that I won't get it and the waiting will drive me nuts for nothing. Keep praying for my family and for this situation.

I'm going hog hunting this afternoon. I'll put a report up if anything interesting happens.

Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home