Thursday, May 26, 2005

Outside the Box

Honestly, I had low expectations. I did an interview last night with the Fourth and Elm church in Sweetwater. I didn't know anything at all about the church until I drove into the parking lot. I honestly expected a church of 150-200, and I expected to sit through an interview where I would be asked questions about "the issues," be branded a "liberal" and get on my way to Lovington. I'm so glad I was wrong.

The church is a congregation of about 350 with about 50 kids in the youth group. Their building burned in '98, so their facility is excellent. They have projection systems in at least four classrooms, plus the auditorium. The preacher's been there eight years. Several years ago they "fired" some elders, which by their account has made the church much healthier. They have a good relationship with ACU. The other churches of Christ in town won't have much to do with them because they're the "liberal" church. And the clincher for me: they don't require an inquisition to be a member. To join their fellowship, all you have to do is... get this... ASK! You may not get to teach or lead in worship if you're unbaptized, but they don't turn you away or give you a God-forsaken asterisk in the directory.

The interview went well by my estimation. Apparently they thought so too, because I'm coming back on Sunday night to do the hamburger/devo thing common to most youth ministry tryouts.

I hate to be too hopeful, but this looks like a really good thing. Could it be, could there actually be a church where I fit? A church where my gifts are needed and used, a church where elders, deacons, and staff work TOGETHER, a church where flexibility and love are more important than correct opinions on "the issues?" (Sorry if I sound a bit grumpy, being burned makes you crispy)

Friends and family, pray for this situation. My prayer is that if it is the Lord's will to bring this church and my family together that it will be clear to everyone involved. Pray that we would know the will of God in this situation. Of course, we'd like it if his will were for us to work there, so you can pray for that too.

And in other, much less important news...
I made it to Lovington last night about midnight. I hit a mouse, a snake, and a rabbit on the way, but no deer and no cops.

I get to shoot some prairie dogs this afternoon. Yipeee!

Derrick and Wayne won second in the tourney this Tuesday. Congrats.

Guess that's about it for today.
Jason

7 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger Dr. Bubba said...

Jason,

This sounds great. I will keep
y'all in prayer.

Now the real question Jason is can you
teach and lead there if you were baptized in a SBC or the like. Do they accept baptisms outside the CoC?

Just curious. And no I am not trying
to stir the pot. ;)

DB

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Jason Fry said...

DB,
Don't know for sure, but that's the essential question. From what I heard, it sounds like a SBC baptism would be accepted, but I don't know.

I do have an opinion on that, but I don't think I'll post it in public.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Dr. Bubba said...

Hehe. ;)

DB

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Dr. Bubba said...

Oh yea ... details on the PD shooting? Distance ... caliber
so forth.

DB

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Jason Fry said...

I got lazy and didn't go shoot any today since I got in so late last night. I'm planning on going out in the morning, probably as early as the boys wake me up. I'll put details somewhere, probably here or on GGVG.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Dr. Bubba said...

Actually the CF post said what I have
always thought....for the right
reasons and not what church it was in.

But being raised in CoC early on I have seen the "where" was more important than
the "why" depending on the church (CoC or any other for that matter) doing the asking.

So I was curious about the Sweetwater
church.

Thanks taking the time to respond CF.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger jerry said...

Jsaon,
sounds awesome! Yes, there are wonderful loving churches out there. I pray for you and your family that you allow the Spirit to lead you! Trust me, I know that a church change can do wonders for your ministry! I still say you are needed in ministry.

Love ya man!
Keep praying,
Jerry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home