Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Prairie Dog Hunting Report

I'm having trouble making Hello do what I want, but I'm going to try to put a post with multiple pics throughout the story.

While on my recent trip to New Mexico, I got to do a little hunting. I went out kind of early on Friday morning. The country was exceptionally green due to all the rain they've been getting lately. As I passed through a crossroads I noticed a small coyote crossing the road to my right. I backed up and turned down the road it had just crossed, and the coyote stopped about 100 yards out on the left side of the road. Its hesitation gave me the opportunity I needed to send a bullet in its direction. Success! First shot of the day took this young female coyote.


The prairie dogging hasn't been great lately. There are four towns that we've historically shot, but three of them have been poisoned over the last couple of years. There's a dog here and there in the poisoned towns, but not the huge numbers that there used to be. Even so, I found a few dogs to shoot at. Highlights include a triple and the shot pictured below.

First, this is the view of the day's longest shot looking over the hood of the car. On the left you'll see my 788 in .223. I don't know if it will show up right, but there's a white 5 gallon bucket sitting next to a dead PD that was 270 steps away. No fancy-pants range finder, but that's about 270 yards or so.


The second pic is the view from the dog and bucket back toward the car. That's my 10/22 in the pic.


That's the all the hunt that's there to report. I'll post again later with the details of Sweetwater, Round Two.
Jason

2 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger Dr. Bubba said...

Excellent report Jason. Sounds like
you enjoyed yourself. Yes I was noticing
how green NM was too. kinda nice and
different.

Too bad about the poisoning. Also in
that area there has been alot of plague so
Ken in Tatum says that the dogs
have been real thin.

Thanks for the report. I enjoyed it.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Jason Fry said...

Maybe it is the plague. I usually hunt about 10 miles south of Tatum. I've e-mailed w/ Ken a few times but never got to talk to him in person or put a hunt together. All I know is that there just aren't as many dogs as there used to be.
Jason

 

Post a Comment

<< Home