Monday, June 13, 2005

Real Live Preacher

I found a blog called Real Live Preacher. The guy's nuts, admittedly on anti-depressants, doesn't bother to symbolically bleep his cusswords, and he's the pastor at some church in Dallas. I used to think I was about an 8 on the 1 to 10 scale of cynicism, but this guy's at least an 11. You can probably find his blog if you hunt for it, but because it's a bit... rough... I'll not link to it. He did say one thing that really caught me, especially in light of what's going on in my life right now.

"People who doubt can have great faith because faith is something you do, not something you think. In fact, the greater your doubt the more heroic your faith."

The greater your doubt, the more heroic your faith. Makes sense, because if you're faithful ANYWAY, in spite of the doubt, the more doubt you have, then the more faith you must have to keep being faithful. Kind of like the guy in Mark (I'll have to look up the reference later) who said, "I believe, help my unbelief!" as Jesus was on the way to heal his daughter.

Any comments about faith and doubt?

2 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger ann said...

I love RLP! He's so... honest, which can be a rare jewel in modern American Christianity. He's actually in San Antonio, and I would love to go visit his church sometime, but that'd make me kind of an internet stalker so maybe I won't. :) His story is crazy... started out with an anonymous blog but it quickly became one of the most popular blogs in the world, reaching out to all kinds of people who'd been burned in Christianity. But people came to like him because he was real and honest and didn't hold up the pretenses or facades that so many do. He "came out" with his identity a year or so ago I guess and people just about died when they found out he was a Baptist minister. :) Ah, sorry for taking over the blog. Just such a cool story and ministry to me.

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Jason Fry said...

Somebody once said that honesty is the best policy, but experience has taught me that your four Japanese cancer options are maybe simpler.

I was wondering who'd comment in the middle of the night, but I guess it's not the middle of the night on the other side of the world, lol.

Jason

 

Post a Comment

<< Home