Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Talking to people on the other side of the world

As I write, I'm talking online with my cousin in New Zealand. Other times I talk with my brother in Africa. All for free! The internet is cool. World wide web indeed.

He's telling me about how the clergy in NZ are atheists. The liturgy committee of the church he was attending decided not to preach about resurrection at Easter because someone was offended last year. Talk about holy crap.

They also sing the Sanctus (a communion hymn) to the tune of "This land is your land, this land is my land."

There are Catholic bishops in Africa that are married with the sanction of the church, and they don't take a vow of poverty. Wisecracks about Catholics make my cousin mad.

He believes in apostolic succession and that the Catholic church is the historical keeper of the deposit of the faith, and therefore the best church.

Quite an interesting fellow.

1 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger Dr. Bubba said...

Hey Jason,

I am not sure what this means are more precisely which clergy?

"He's telling me about how the clergy in NZ are atheists."

I lived in NZ for two years back in
94'-96 and I attended several churches trying to find a church home. Not sure the word atheist is how I would describe this.

Yep the internet is cool. The web was just getting going then but email was going strong then. Talked to folks by email and phone. Had a friend in 96' who wanted me to setup a video/audio connect with him on my SGI. I could never get it work. Now days it is almost trivial to do it.

Terry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home