Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Bird Huntin'

Dove season has been open for six days. The first two days I was in class. The third day was church and work. The fourth day it rained four inches. The fifth day was class and work. On the sixth day, God created animals and man. On the sixth day of dove season, the man harvested the raw materials for some great kabobs. That's right, I shot some bell peppers and onions, bacon and squash.

I picked up a place to dove hunt that is only 7 minutes from my house. My landlord was over working on plumbing and the roof on Saturday. I was helping (I live here, after all), and he offered for me to come hunt his place. Turns out that he has 20 acres of sunflowers close enough to town that all of those town doves come out to dine, but just outside the city limit, and less than a mile into the "North Zone" that has a 15 bird limit (the "Central Zone" one mile south has a 12 bird limit.)
I went out this morning before work and brought home eleven, mostly whitewings. I was shooting some old Winchester Super Speed shells that I got from Kayla and Dan in Canadian five years ago, and I remember now why I quit shooting them: they stink. I hit five or six more birds that didn't go down in a timely manner, instead flying 100 yards or more into a mesquite thicket. Remington Shur-Shot would have folded them. Oh well, only two more boxes of crappy shells to go.

We're going to New Mexico tomorrow for Josh and Haley's wedding this weekend. Should be interesting.

The boys and Shana had their first day of school yesterday. I think it was harder on mom than on the boys, but everyone did OK.

I'd still like some more comments on the last post, if you don't mind. If you don't want to be that personal on the internet, just e-mail me.
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home