Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Three guiding principles

I'm trying to make some big decisions about my present and therefore my future. David Wray was helpful in pushing me toward clarifying my major principles. Everyone operates with some guiding principles and makes decisions based on whether certain options are in line with those principles. My three guiding principles are as follows, in order.

1. Whatever I do, God must be involved. I have been called to ministry, given talents, and have given my life as a Christian. Whatever I might decide must be faithful to God and make good use of his gifts.

2. Whatever I do should contribute to the health of my family relationships. My relationship with my wife and children must be valued, and whatever I decide must be faithful to my family.

3. Whatever I do, I must be financially responsible. I simply don't believe in debt for the sake of short term gain. I also want to take care of my family's financial needs. Financial responsibility also means simplicity and stewardship.

Other principles like "don't quit" and "take time for rest" are helpful, but must be used under the other three. If not quitting means trouble for my family, or unnecessary debt, and the like, or if "resting" means going to the lake four times per week at the expense of my children... You get the point.

We'll see where this goes as things unfold.

1 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger Dr. Bubba said...

Hey Jason,

Been watching your threads. My thoughts are that you need not justify this to anyone but yourself.

I think your desires and calling are wonderful and there is nothing wrong with them. They make sense to me.

As far as I am concerned all church bodies no matter where they meet are health issues. They have to since we are all sinners. Some show it more than others. Some bodies we enjoy more than others. What our preferences are and no matter the logical they seem are still subjective in the end.

I have seen geniune faith in believers in many different situations and bodies. As I have mentioned I do not follow one denomination easily. I go to the church that best fits my families needs and that we agree with about the cores of the faith. Of course we do not push ourselves into a body unless we feel the Lord is calling us there in some form of service or needs.

Anyway, all I have seen in your posts recently is that there is nothing wrong with your calling and desires. They are need in the body no matter where they meet.

God bless,
DB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home