Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Churches "of Christ"

I borrowed this idea third hand from Brian Mashburn's lecture today...

What if we had a church sign that just said "CHURCH OF" and God could fill in the rest? I've been to the Church of Rules, the Church of Tradition, the Church of Self-Righteousness, and the Church of inconsistency. What would the sign say if God filled it in?

For us to put "of Christ" is presumptive, arrogant, bold. Are we Christ's church in the sense that we represent him? Are we Christ to the world so that God would put "of Christ" on our sign?

Think about how we treat the poor. Think about the racial mix in our churches. Think about our views of the third world. Think about it too hard and you'll be scared about what God might write. I am.

I don't mind being the Church of Christ. In fact, I think we are called to it. Let's not take the signs down or change the name. Let's live up to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home