Monday, July 17, 2006

Oh My Goodness!

Yesterday I did something that I don't really ever want to do again. I taught class for 65 junior high kids BY MYSELF. I don't mind teaching. In fact, I kind of like it. This was not the kind of teaching I like.

I was told that there would be other adults there. By the time I figured out that no one was coming, it was too late. I had the opportunity to snag a preacher and an elder's wife, but I kept thinking, "Surely someone's coming." They weren't. The room was set up with kids sitting in a circle around the edge, and we added three rows on one end. What does that mean to the teacher? Someone is always behind him. Teaching to a circle, you can't face everyone at once. In a room full of middle school kids, if you're not looking at them, they're talking, and sometimes they talk even when you look at them.

On top of that, the projector that usually hangs from the ceiling had been removed and the ceiling tile left out. The result was that hot air from the attic poured into the room and onto my head the entire time.

I can't say for sure that I've never set anybody up for that kind of experience, but I have never had 65 of any age, and I tried to set up my classrooms in ways that prevented the behind the back talking. If I ever set you up, forgive me.
Jason

2 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I think I've been there man. Teaching to the masses of the seemingly uninterested. Keep on truckin' and watch out for falling celing tiles.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Jason Fry said...

Mark,
Didn't know you came by here. Thanks for the comment. Email me at jkf96a at acu dot edu and I'll send you the link to my "religious topics" blog.
Jason

 

Post a Comment

<< Home