Thursday, August 17, 2006

Mr. Fry does right by Mr. Crappie

It just wouldn't be Jason Fry's blog without a fishing report :)

I went out this morning with Mark Aldreidge, the guy who teaches our Sunday school class. He was in ministry for 20 years, and also got dumped on his head. Now he's a builder. Anyway, we chased a few hybrids early and caught one, although it wasn't big enough. We also managed about 7 or 8 black bass in the same area, all short. The plan was to hit the hybrids early and then crappie fish.

The first tree we stopped at was one I had never fished before. I had 3 fish in the boat by the time Mark got his stuff tied on. (I cheated, as I had mine all tied on already). I accidently let the boat bump the tree after the fourth fish, so we went to another tree about 100 yards away. In the next hour, we caught 28 keepers including several that were about as big as crappie get. We left that spot at about 8:30. We hit four or five more spots, ending at the place where Trey and I caught some last week. We pulled ten more from there. In all, we ended up with 42 or 43. We might could have finished out our limits, but we wanted to get home before lunch time. I might have had a few more than my limit, and Mark a few less than his, but it was a great time. I don't think I've ever had that many crappie in one mess, or caught so many so fast as that first hour on the second tree. I've caught a limit a half a dozen times, and in the teens another dozen, but this was crazy, and they were mostly 12 inches or more, plus four or five in the 14" range.

We stopped by the bait shop and had our picture taken with several of the big ones, and Mark also took some pics on his digicam once we got back to the house. I'll post one after he e-mails me.

Tight lines,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home