Monday, January 09, 2006

Reflections on Context

Since my friend Terry the rocket scientist asked about trap bedding, I thought I'd explain.

In Texarkana, dirt is fluffy. There's plenty of plant matter in the soil, and it compacts under pressure. To bed a trap, you pack around the outside, flip the loose jaw, pack around the inside, flip the jaw back, throw dirt on top, and go.

In Abilene, dirt is sand. There is no "dirt." When you bed a trap like you would in Texarkana, the dirt doesn't pack, and it also runs under the pan. When you get dirt under the pan, the pan won't fall under the pressure of a fox foot, and so success becomes impossible. (The solution, BTW, seems to be pan covers.)

There's the explanation for you, Dr. B.

The immediate lesson: no two places are the same. What works in Texarkana may not work in Abilene, and vice versa. Dallas isn't Austin, isn't California, isn't Saskatchewan. There is no unified theory or singular explanation for everything under the sun.

I'm in class right now, and our break is over, so bye.
Jason

2 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Dr. Bubba said...

Thanks for explaining the difference btw Texarkana and Abilene, Jason.

I guess I learned to do it like you do in Abilene which should not be surprising since Angelo and Sonora are in the neighborhood of Abilene. ;)

We placed a little square
of a light cloth over the pan so it
covers the pan and on out touching the ground a bit but still
inside jaws. Then we put the dirt
lightly on top of that. That way no
debris gets under the pan like you
said. Also used a bush drag attached to the trap.

My Dad taught me but I have not
set a trap in 25 yrs is my guess.

Good luck..keep us posted. If you
do good the do not forget your friends at GGVG either. :)

DB

p.s. I am not a rocket scientist but
I do own a 220 Rocket and am a scientist. ;) Maybe that counts.

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Jason Fry said...

Oh yeah, I forgot. Fuzz is the rocket scientist, you're just a regular old nuclear physicist, lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home