Thursday, January 12, 2006

Poison, Promotions, Preaching Prophecy

We're talking about preaching prophecy in class today. We just listened to Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech. Quite a work of art. Perhaps as close to modern prophecy as there can be.

I might have to steal that metaphor of the promissory note marked "Insufficient Funds" as a way to understand or explain my church experiences. By their very nature they promised, but when I went to the bank, they couldn't deliver. Like MLK I refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. There must be somewhere something about church or Christianity that in fact does contain community, forgiveness, and all those things that the Bible promises.

I might have to create a dream of equality and fraternity among Christians of all flavors. I wonder to what extent racial segregation is similar to denominational segregation. I hesitate to say that all congregations of all denominations are created equal. On the other hand, I refuse to believe that the current state of dis-fellowship is what God had in mind.

I had some food poisoning yesterday. Not problems on either end, so to speak, just bad cramps. I think it was bad sour cream out of our fridge. I survived.

I also got a promotion yesterday. Starting in February I won't be "just the camping guy." I'll be a cashier supervisor, which also includes an extra dollar per hour. A step in the right direction.

"If all we do in prophecy is beat the daylights out of people, we're not really being prophetic."
- Mark Hamilton

Jason

1 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger miller said...

the institution is not worthy of our attemts to rescue it. the church desperately needs an exodus from the egypt of the mind that is contained by the structure said institution. the very things the church apparently needs are in direct competition with the institution. i.e. if we direct more resources to incarnational endeavors we must sacrifice resources available for institutional sustenance.

i know, its cynical... but i don't think its wrong.

peace

 

Post a Comment

<< Home